Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Life: A Verbose Update

It's been quite a while since I posted a substantial update. I figure that now is as good a time. I just finished moving and getting things unpacked. Finals week is not a good time to move.

I've returned to using Marius as my primary practicing name. I've conquered the condition that prompted me to use Perdurabo. There is, however, a noticable effect on my grades. I don't have straight A's this semester! I emailed the instructor of the one class I don't have an A in to ask if I could hand in one of my assignments late. He hasn't responded, but I'm going to finish the assignment and hand it in anyways. The difference ought to be enough to bring the grade up to at least a B. I hope I can salvage the grade. It's a C, and it doesn't meet my expectations. I hope to graduate with no less than a 3.9 GPA. This C knocks me down to a 3.71! I want summa cum laude!

I'm really psyched about how I did in LAW370 and how much I enjoyed it. I only missed one question on the final. If I ever burn out of the game development industry, I might consider persuing a career in law. Game law, to be more specific.

I really enjoyed the ENG305 final. For the final project, I wrote a modern myth plus commentary. In retrospect, I'm disappointed with the myth that I wrote. I know I could have done much better. This is what happens when you try to move during finals. Don't do it.

That's enough about school for now. Let's move on to other news.

Shortly after the break up with my ex-fiance, Maureen, I began trying to get involved in the local Pagan community. I was also looking for a good store for tools. I don't own an athame or a chalice, and I'm also looking for a couple of specific tarot decks. This is how I met Tiffany. She invited me over to watch movies one evening, one thing led to another, and now we're dating.

I didn't expect to be in another relationship this soon. The break-up had a devastating effect on me apart from the depression I've overcome. I'm hesitant to trust anybody at all - not quite to the point of paranoia, but close enough. I find myself questioning people's motives, even when they're doing something nice for me. It's disturbing. Imagine my surprise when I let the L-word slip last night. There had been a couple times I almost said it before, but I stopped myself. It's a word I don't use lightly or without much forethought. Tiffany makes me happy...happier than I've been in almost a year.

I've had a fairly exciting semester break so far. I was hoping for a more relaxing break. Oh well. First of all, I went to see Snakes on a Plane on Friday. It was a lot better than I expected it to be for a B-movie with a campy title. After the movie, I stopped by the school to get information for an article for Error404, but I ended up being too late. On my way back to the apartment, I got rear-ended at a stoplight. I just love hit & runs. Thankfully, there is no damage to me or my car.

I spent the last couple of days at Tiffany's apartment. My car got towed out of the parking lot yesterday morning. I wasn't able to get to the towing company until today. It's in the middle of nowhere! It cost $125 to get my car back! Money is really tight right now -- I still have to buy my books for next semester.

There is so much that I want to do in my free time, and not enough time to do it over the break. I've been playing with a 7 day trial of Dungeons and Dragons Online. It's much more fun than any other MMORPG I've played. There is much less grinding (you actually have to do more than click the attack button!) and it's easy to find good groups. I want to brush up on my understanding of Spanish. I also have several different languages I want to learn, such as Latin, Italian, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, and Assyrian. I want to be able to read the myths and scriptures of various cultures & religions in their native languages. I also intend to attempt my own translations of each after I read through them in their native languages. I'm also looking up reliable information about the A∴A∴ because I don't trust the Wikipedia article. Depending on what I find out about it, I might consider applying to be a student. My theological beliefs are more Wiccan than Thelemic, which is why I'm looking for info about the A∴A∴ instead of the O.T.O.

Which brings me to another topic. The Pagan group I attempted to start last year will be starting this year. There has been a sudden increase in interest, including from Pagans outside the university. I'm looking forward to our first meeting. I'm excited about taking on more students and answering in-depth questions about my beliefs (assuming such questions are asked, that is).

No comments: